Back to Attorneys
Print This Page
Umberto C. Bonavita
International Business and Yacht Lawyer, Umberto is a Partner at Robert Allen Law. He is a transactional attorney representing U.S. and multinational companies in the areas of corporate, securities and finance law as well as general business matters. He also specializes in the yachting industry, regularly advising clients on all aspects of yacht transactions.
His practice areas include:
- Superyacht Transactions
- Corporate Law
- International Business Law
- Alcoholic Beverage Law
- Superyacht Transactions: Umberto has extensive experience in yacht law representing a broad spectrum of clients in the yachting industry, including yacht manufacturers, yacht brokerages, franchisors, franchisees, marine lenders, and purchasers and sellers of pleasure yachts. He regularly represents clients, speaks and publishes in the following areas:
- Yacht Purchase and Sales Agreements and Negotiations
- New Build Construction Agreements and Negotiations
- Dealer Agreements
- Warranty Agreements and Claims
- Crew Agreements
- Chartering Agreements
- Corporate Law: Umberto represents clients in a wide range of transactional and commercial matters. He handles mergers, acquisitions and other business combinations, change in control matters, stock accumulations and various financings. He advises boards of directors and special committees of boards on significant transactions and corporate governance, and other matters raising fiduciary duty and business judgment issues.
- International Business Law: Umberto represents numerous multinational corporations providing legal advice relating to their Florida or international operations. He has extensive experience assisting Italian based companies and entrepreneurs establish U.S. based businesses and subsidiaries. He often serves as outside general counsel for these companies and advises on his clients’ operations and strategic decisions.
- Fordham University School of Law (J.D. 2001)
- Notes and Articles Editor, Fordham Intellectual Property Media & Entertainment Law Journal
- University of Virginia (B.A. 1995)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- The Florida Bar
- The New York State Bar
- American Bar Association
- Italy America Chamber of Commerce, Southeast, Member of the Board of Directors and Executive Vice President
- International Yacht Brokers Association
- US Superyacht Association
- Marine Industries Association of South Florida
- AV Rated Attorney Martindale
- Date County Bar Association Legal Luminaries: 2016 Top Corporate Lawyer, Finalist
- Commercial Leases- Don’t Let the Landlord Become your Business Partner, Italy-America Chamber of Commerce Southeast, .it italian trade magazine, April 2018.
- Panama is Making a Splash in the Yachting Industry. International Yacht Brokers Association Compass Magazine, April/May 2018.
- Closing a Yacht Purchase in Europe: The U.S. Perspective (How It’s Done and How We Deal with the VAT Monster). MYBA Superyacht Broker Seminar Presentation, November 2017.
- What Happens When a Buyer or Seller Cancels a Contract Under the IYBA or MYBA Agreements? IYBA West Coast Sales Seminar Presentation, August 2017.
- Make Your Listing Agreement Bullet-Proof: Five Important Clauses to Help Avoid or Control Litigation (Lead Author). Florida Yacht Brokers Association Compass Magazine, October/November 2016.
- Costituzione di una Società in Florida (Lead Author). Italy-America Chamber of Commerce .it Italian Trade Magazine, November 2015.
- How a Bareboat Charter Can Help Limit Liability (Lead Author). Florida Yacht Brokers Association Compass Magazine, May/June 2013.
- Look Before You Leap: U.S. Real Estate Investments for Non U.S. Resident Italians (Lead Author). Italy-America Chamber of Commerce, Southeast .it Italian Trade Magazine. March 2010.